Most traditional recipes can undergo a few easy changes and be transformed into a much healthier option! With this veggie loaded quiche, we swapped out the pork bacon for turkey bacon to keep the protein high and lower the fat. We also loaded it up with all the veggies!! Remember, when you are working towards a goal of eating healthier, it is better to focus on things you can add in, instead of focusing on the things you should remove!
You will need:
– 2 nine inch pie crust
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 8 oz turkey bacon, diced
– 1 red onion, diced
– 1 zucchini, chopped
– 5 oz bag spinach
– 6 eggs
– 1 cup almond milk
– 1 cup cheese (divided)
– ½ tsp salt
– ½ tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Saute onions and turkey bacon in olive oil on medium high heat for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Add in zucchini for 2-3 minutes and then add in spinach one handful at a time until wilted and then set aside
3. Whisk eggs, milk, ½ cup cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl
4. Add in turkey bacon, onions and spinach and pour half into one crust and half into the other.
5. Add the rest of the cheese to the top and bake for 35-40 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick in the center and it will come out clean
6. Allow 20 minutes to cool and then enjoy!
Makes 8 servings
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 veg, 2 protein, 2 fat