This recipe is perfect for dinner and is packed full of nutrients!
- 1 lb. Ground turkey
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1-can black beans, drained
- 1- can diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cook turkey. Heat a large cast-iron skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, and let it get hot. Add ground turkey, breaking it up with a spatula or meat chopper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until browned on the outside and cooked through. Remove turkey from pan and set aside.
- Cook veggies. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to your pan. Then add sweet potatoes, can of diced tomatoes (with juice) onions, garlic cloves, and salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Add about 2 tablespoons water, cover with a lid, and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If needed, you can add a little more water halfway through to help them cook.
- Next, add the drained black beans and peppers, mix to combine, cover again, and cook for another 5 minutes. All the veggies should be tender at this point.
- Bring it all together. Turn down heat to low and add ground turkey (with the juices) and the spices to the pan and stir well to combine. Finally, top with shredded cheese to cover the turkey mixture and let melt, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Top with optional toppings and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
Exchanges: 3 protein, 1.5 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 1 fat