Probiotics are all the buzz right now, but do you know that you can get probiotics from food sources too?? Probiotics are live microorganisms, also known as the “good” bacteria in our guts. To name a few of the benefits, probiotics can improve digestive health, reduce depression, promote heart health and promote healthy skin! A few ways to get probiotics in through food are yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh, kimchi, miso, kombucha, and pickles! We typically recommend getting two different sources at two different times throughout the day to help balance gut bacteria.
You will need:
– 4 cups sweet potato, chopped
– 2 cups brussel sprouts, halved
– 1 lb pork tenderloin
– 2 tsp smoked paprika
– 2 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp oregano
– ½ tsp cinnamon
– 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Place chopped sweet potatoes into the oven and set a timer for 45 minutes.
3. While the sweet potatoes are cooking combine spices in a small bowl or container
4. Rub the pork with the olive oil and then the spices (you may not use all the spice mix, if not just save for next time)
5. Once the timer gets down to 30 minutes add the pork and the brussel sprouts to the oven.
6.Allow the brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes to cook the remaining 30 minutes
7. Cook the pork for 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 (so remove when the timer has 5 minutes left)
8. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving
9. Split pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts into 4 servings and enjoy! For added probiotic benefit add 2 Tbsp sauerkraut on the side!
Exchanges: 4 meat, 2 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat