Granola can be a really great source of carbohydrates, fiber and other nutrients, but if you aren’t careful about the kind you get they can also be loaded with sugar! One way to combat this is to make your own homemade granola. This is also a great way to customize the taste!
You will need:
– 3 cups Old Fashioned Oats, uncooked
– 1 cup unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
– 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
– ¼ cup honey
– ¼ cup butter, melted
– 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp salt
– 2/3 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine all ingredients except raisins in an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan; mix well.
3. Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from the oven and add raisins.
5. Cool thoroughly; store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
Serve as cereal with milk or as a snack or as a topping over fruit salad, fruit, yogurt, frozen yogurt, ice cream or pudding.
Makes 5 cups granola.