Did you know that only 5% of people in the U.S. meet the daily target of fiber set by the Institute of Medicine?? Eating a fiber rich diet can help with better GI health and reduce the risk of heart attacks, strokes, high cholesterol, obesity, type 2 diabetes and some cancers! So why are we not eating more of this super nutrient?? Fiber is found in foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds. A good goal is to try to incorporate a source of fiber at every meal and snack to help with blood sugar control and to keep you feeling full! Try this fiber rich meal if you are looking for ways to increase your intake!
You will need:
– 1 bag of butternut squash from Trader Joe’s (precut)
– 1 bag of broccoli florets from Trader Joe’s
– 1 can chickpeas
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Combine all ingredients on a foil lined sheet pan and mix with hands until combined.
3. Cook for 25-30 min until crispy and done!!
4. Serve with ground turkey, chicken, or even tofu to keep this meal plant based!
Makes 3 servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 protein, 1 veg