A great way to start working towards a healthy lifestyle is to make small changes. Start with one small realistic goal and once you feel comfortable with it start adding more. One great goal to work towards is having 5 servings of fruits & veggies a day. Add fruits and veggies to meals with recipes like this one!
You will need:
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 lb raw chicken breast, diced
– 1 tsp salt
– ½ tsp pepper
– 3 cups brussels sprouts, halved
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 granny smith apples, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic
– 2 tsp thyme
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, half the salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through and set cooked chicken aside.
2. Add brussel sprouts, sweet potato, onion and the rest of the salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Then add ½ cup chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook until the broth evaporates.
4.Add the chicken and other ½ cup broth and cook until heated through.
Makes 4 servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 meat, 1 fat