Carbohydrates are used as the body’s main source of energy. When choosing carbohydrate sources look for complex carbohydrates like brown rice, quinoa, whole grain breads, beans, and starchy vegetables like potatoes, corn and peas. Complex carbs are slowly broken down by the body, which helps to stabilize the blood sugar levels. Complex carbs are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The brown rice and quinoa fusilli pasta from trader joes is a great source of complex carbohydrates to use for this pasta salad recipe.
You will need:
– ½ lb fusilli pasta
– 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 4 cups broccoli, steamed
– 3 bell peppers, chopped
– 1 ¼ cups plain nonfat greek yogurt
– 1 clove minced garlic
– 3 Tbsp lemon juice
– 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
– 1 tsp dried dill
– ½ tsp oregano
1. Cook pasta according to package directions
2. While pasta is cooking, in a large bowl, stir together greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, dill and oregano
3. Once pasta is done, drain and rinse with cold water.
4. Drizzle olive oil over pasta and combine.
5. Add pasta to the large bowl with yogurt mixture and combine well
6. Add chicken, broccoli, and peppers to pasta and combine
7. Separate into 6 servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 meat, 1 fat